Thursday, October 8, 2009

To kill or not to kill.

I always get asked how or why I am a vegetarian. Well here it is...

It all started one March day in 2008. My younger brother was a freshman in high school and obviously he couldn't drive so my mom asked me the night before to take him to school. Of course I said I could because I didn't work until four so I had the time. Oh before I get too far, I pretty much do everything in my underwear. I sleep in my panties, I watch tv in my panties, almost everything. So he had to wake me up because I was so tired for the night before. We were running late so I didn't put any pants on, I figure I'm not getting out of the car so what does it matter anyways, right? So we're driving and he tells me, "Erin don't forget we have to pick Cody up." (Cody is his best friend since kindergarden, he's like my brother, and I did forget.)
"Oh shit Brian! I'm not wearing any pants."
He just snickers.
So we stop by and pick him up. Well go figure Cody had two friends sleep over that night. They all pile in the car and he noticed I was in my panties and goes, "haha where are your pants!"
"Shut up! Just pretend I'm in a bathing suit ok."
So no all of the boys are laughing. I just want you to invision what kind of panties they are. They are worse then your grandmas underwear. They are like the, I'm doing laundry underwear. They're two sizes too big, with a ton of little flowers on them. They go up to my belly button.
Well in the mix of them making fun of me and me telling them to shut up, there was a bird in the road. They usually fly away, well boy was I wrong. He did not. I ran the poor baby over and I heard him crunch. I am a ridiculous animal lover and I have never killed one in my life (well except for that bird.) I started bawling! Of course they started to laugh and because I started crying they were just making it worse,
"Erin how could you kill him!?"
"What did he ever do to you?"
"You're an animal killer!"
"His family is never going to see him again!"
The tears just poured out of me. I could not stop. I cried the whole way home and when I got home for about 15 minutes. From that moment I decided I would never support killing animals again. I just want to point out I'm not a freak about it. My parents eat meat, my brother eats meat, one set of grandparents eat meat. I don't try and convert. I figure you do what makes you happy. Not eating meat makes me happy. It's a little harder to go places and find things to eat but I manage. I just see animals having feelings too. I don't know what I would do if I found out someone wanted to kill my dog to eat. She has such a personality she's like a little human.



"The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men." -Leonardo da Vinci



"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." "To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being." -Gandhi

2 comments:

  1. it's funny and sad. i enjoyed your story. (hope you're wearing pants now. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont eat meat either
    :)
    we should be friends

    ReplyDelete